The following list is not necessarily in an order of importance.
- Have the fundamental skills and experience.
- Have the desire and ability to learn and adapt.
- Use contracts (or agreements).
- Be professional.
- Try to be a genuine, considerate human being.
- Have the desire for independence.
- Be self disciplined.
- Be organized.
- Treat freelance as a business.
- Make appropriate and timely compensation a priority.
- Don’t settle for clients that don’t respect you or pay you.
- Apply the “golden rule”.
- Be logical and creative.
- Continuously try to improve.
- Reach out to other like minded individuals.